The eyelids are often the first facial feature to show signs of aging resulting in a sad, tired appearance even in the most energetic individual. Blepharoplasty, a surgical procedure designed to rejuvenate the eyelids, can return that youthful elegance to your face, making the eyes appear brighter and more refreshed. The eyelids can be considered separately, but it is usually most beneficial for patients to have both eyelids treated simultaneously. When the entire area around the eyes is treated together, the transformation is truly dramatic.
Any one or combination of the following conditions may indicate that you are a good candidate for eyelid surgery:
- Excess skin obscuring the natural fold of the upper eyelids.
- Loose skin hanging down from the upper eyelids, perhaps impairing vision.
- A puffy appearance to the upper eyelids, making the eyes look tired.
- Excess skin and fine, crinkly wrinkles of the lower eyelids.
- Bags and dark circles under the eyes, often with a depression along the bony border of the lower eyelids.
- Droopiness of the lower eyelids, showing white below the iris, the round-eye look.